The Organization for Development, Renovation and Equipping of Schools (DRES) aims to make all of Iranian schools safe from any kind of disaster to create a healthy palace for children. The following 5 priorities for action based on Hyogo Framework are considered to achieve safety of schools which is essential in this coalition.
HFA Priorities during 2005-2015:
- Ensure that disaster risk reduction is a national and a local priority with a strong institutional basis for implementation
- Identify, assess and monitor disaster risks and enhance early warning
- Use knowledge, innovation and education to build a culture of safety and resilience at all levels
- Reduce the underlying risk factors
- Strengthen disaster preparedness for effective response at all levels
An action plan that has been designated to achieve the above mentioned goals is as follows:
- Carrying out Seismic research on the earth crust and determining the safe and unsafe schools
- Gathering comprehensive database about the existing status and facilities of schools
- Proving guidelines and standard codes for construction of new school buildings and retrofitting the old ones
- Equipping schools with facilities and improving building structures.
Promoting prevention and preparedness culture of schools by evacuation drills, showing films and awareness programs for students, school staff and also parents.